Avocado, Prawn & Citrus Salad
Average User Rating:
500g peeled green prawns
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper or hot chilli powder
2 bay leaves
2 ruby grapefruit
1/2 cup (70g) finely diced red capsicum
1/2 cup (60g) finely chopped shallot/spring onion
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 -3 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
- To make the dressing, combine the lemon juice, sugar, Tabasco
and garlic in a bowl and whisk in the oil. Season to taste with salt
and set aside.
- To cook the prawns, stir 2 teaspoons of salt, the cayenne pepper
or chilli powder and bay leaves into a pan of water and bring to
the boil. Reduce heat slightly and simmer for 5 minutes so the
water absorbs the flavours of the seasonings.
- Add the prawns and cook shrimp until just pink and opaque,
about 1 minute.
- Drain and spread on a plate to cool.
- Peel the oranges and grapefruit and with a small sharp knife cut
out the segments without their skin.
- Peel the avocados and cut into slices.
- Toss the cooled prawns with the capsicum, onion and coriander,
and add the dressing. Mix carefully through.
- To serve, fan citrus segments and sliced avocado on plates and
mound the salad on top.
© Courtesy of California Avocado Commission