The Avocado Nursery Voluntary Accreditation Scheme (ANVAS) was established in 1977-78 to provide superior planting material for the avocado industry.
Nurseries that have been ANVAS Accredited are:
- Anderson Horticulture: Duranbah NSW – 0438 390 441
- Birdwood Nursery: Nambour Qld – 07 5442 1611
- Turkinje Nursery: Walkamin Qld – 0419 781 723
The aim of the scheme, which was expanded in 1996, is to foster:
- Sound nursery practices;
- The use of virus-tested and registered sources of seed and budwood; and
- The exclusion of soil-borne plant pathogens and root diseases, with a major emphasis on the most serious avocado pathogen, Phytophthora cinnamomi.
Participation in the scheme is voluntary and any nursery operator or grower who can meet the Guidelines’ requirements may apply for accreditation under the scheme. Avocados Australia in collaboration with Hort Innovation recently commissioned an independent review of the scheme and activities are underway to update the scheme’s Guidelines, administration, procedures and protocols.